Lesson 17 – Tracking Your Menstrual Cycle & Fertility Symptoms
- Be able to track your menstruation cycle and record physical symptoms
- Predict your upcoming period and ovulation
Major Points in this Lesson:
- Day one of a woman’s menstrual cycle is the first day of her period and the last day is the day before her next period begins.
- Ovulation typically occurs about two weeks prior to the next expected period.
- Recording basal body temperature (BBT) and other signs of fertility can help narrow down a woman’s most fertile days.
- Charting can be accomplished fast and easy with the YONO package – an in-ear thermometer, base station, and smartphone application for iOS.
Charting your basal body temperature (BBT) and other fertility signs is an effective way to estimate when you will ovulate. Once you’ve determined your “fertile window,” you can then increase the frequency of intercourse to improve your odds of conception. Day one of a woman’s cycle is the start of her period. The cycle ends when the next period begins. During the menstrual cycle, it’s important to record all fertility signs observed.
Each morning after waking (and before eating, drinking, or standing up) take your temperature with a basal in-ear thermometer. Basal body temperature should be taken and recorded each morning in the same manner. You can also check your cervical mucus each day. Record the type of discharge according to its consistency, such as dry, sticky, or egg-white.
Towards the end of a cycle, your BBT should rise 0.5 to 1 degree Fahrenheit and should remain high. This is typically when ovulation occurs. Your BBT should also cross check with other fertility signs. For example, ovulation often corresponds with the last day of egg-white type cervical fluid, as the egg-white mucus is the most fertile. Over the course of several months, you may notice a pattern developing which can help you pinpoint ovulation. For the best chance of conception, have intercourse at least every other day during your fertile window.
YONO Labs offers an innovative device to make tracking your menstrual cycle and ovulation fast and easy. A YONO package contains an earbud, base station, set of ear tips in three sizes, and a USB charging cord. After downloading the YONO fertility application for iOS on a smartphone, you can record your fertility signs, menstrual cycle, and other information. The ear bud acts as an in-ear thermometer that takes your basal temperature and connects automatically with your phone.